Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 334,794 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email firstname.lastname@example.org. These files were last updated on December 8, 2013.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (334,794 objects)
- csv (zipped 15.7 MB, unzipped 89 MB)
- xml (zipped 20.6 MB, unzipped 323.2 MB)
- json (zipped 18.3 MB, unzipped 179.1 MB)
- African (18,487 objects)
- csv (zipped 1,013.7 KB, unzipped 5 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.2 MB)
- American (125,171 objects)
- csv (zipped 5.6 MB, unzipped 33.3 MB)
- xml (zipped 7.6 MB, unzipped 126.3 MB)
- json (zipped 6.7 MB, unzipped 68.4 MB)
- Asian (20,444 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.3 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.5 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.3 MB)
- Egyptian (41,325 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 10.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 38.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.4 MB)
- European (7,232 objects)
- csv (zipped 259.5 KB, unzipped 1.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 345.2 KB, unzipped 6.8 MB)
- json (zipped 302.4 KB, unzipped 3.7 MB)
- Historic (2,319 objects)
- csv (zipped 127.5 KB, unzipped 622.1 KB)
- xml zipped 162.3 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- json zipped 146.2 KB, unzipped 1.2 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,137 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 8.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 28.8 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.4 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,211 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 17.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 63 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 35.3 MB)
- Oceanian (21,053 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 18.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 10.7 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.