Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 354,314 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email firstname.lastname@example.org. These files were last updated on July 26, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (354,314 objects)
- csv (zipped 16.3 MB, unzipped 96.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 21.3 MB, unzipped 349 MB)
- json (zipped 19 MB, unzipped 194.4 MB)
- African (18,751 objects)
- csv (zipped 1,001.3 KB, unzipped 5.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.4 MB)
- American (138,972 objects)
- csv (zipped 6 MB, unzipped 37.3 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.1 MB, unzipped 142.8 MB)
- json (zipped 7.1 MB, unzipped 77.5 MB)
- Asian (20,548 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 22 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.6 MB)
- Egyptian (43,663 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 11.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 41.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 23.2 MB)
- European (8,038 objects)
- csv (zipped 262.5 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 349.6 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 305.2 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,471 objects)
- csv (zipped 139.3 KB, unzipped 682.4 KB)
- xml zipped 175.7 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 158.4 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,261 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 8.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 29.7 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.9 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,562 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 18.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 64.6 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 36.7 MB)
- Oceanian (21,378 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.4 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.