Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 357,198 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email firstname.lastname@example.org. These files were last updated on October 4, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (357,198 objects)
- csv (zipped 16.3 MB, unzipped 97.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 21.2 MB, unzipped 353.1 MB)
- json (zipped 18.9 MB, unzipped 196.7 MB)
- African (18,923 objects)
- csv (zipped 1,019.8 KB, unzipped 5.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.5 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.5 MB)
- American (140,847 objects)
- csv (zipped 6.1 MB, unzipped 37.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.1 MB, unzipped 145.5 MB)
- json (zipped 7.2 MB, unzipped 79 MB)
- Asian (21,756 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 23.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 13.3 MB)
- Egyptian (44,286 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 11.3 MB)
- xml (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 42.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 23.6 MB)
- European (8,060 objects)
- csv (zipped 263.6 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 350.6 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 306.2 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,471 objects)
- csv (zipped 139.5 KB, unzipped 682.5 KB)
- xml zipped 176 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 158.5 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,277 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 8.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 29.9 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 17 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,778 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 19 MB)
- xml (zipped 3.9 MB, unzipped 64.9 MB)
- json (zipped 3.5 MB, unzipped 36.8 MB)
- Oceanian (21,378 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.5 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.