Ancient Alcohol After Hours - POSTPONED
Tour and Beer Tasting
Friday, May 14, 2021 |
7:00PM - 9:00PM ET
This is a virtual event.
LocationVirtual Event - Penn Museum
View more Specialty Tours
Drinking together has been a tradition for thousands of years. Log on, grab a drink, and let us be your designated driver as you virtually explore how our ancestors partied like it was 5000 BCE.
Back by popular demand, this highly engaging and interactive virtual program takes you back in time to learn about the earliest known beer and explore some unexpected beer brewing techniques from South America. You will also uncover how an ancient alcoholic beverage considered a cousin to tequila was fermented from the sap of the agave plant.
If you joined us for this program last year, we will revisit some of our favorite stories, such as the legend of the Mesopotamian queen who drank her beer out of a straw and the science behind how Penn Museum archaeologists recreated a beer served at a funerary feast hosted by King Midas.
Along with the beer pairings suggested below, grab some corn meal for this program. Attendees will learn firsthand about chicha, an ancient Andean beer made from chewed corn, and be invited to “chew” along with us!
Meet your ancient alcohol experts
Mark Van Horn will be your virtual tour guide and resident archaeologist for the evening. He has excavated at sites across Italy, France, Germany, and Israel and is currently a Ph.D. Candidate in Mediterranean Archaeology at Penn.
Dr. Kirk French, Teaching Professor of Anthropology at Penn State, will share his experience brewing chicha with his students. Hear how he and his students sowed the fields at Penn State with corn, chewed kernels, and managed the brewing process of this ancient beverage.
Drink along with us!
We encourage all of our 21+ friends to drink along with us. Throughout the evening, your guide will share insight into why he selected each beer pairing.
Suggested beer pairings
- Start Off Local – A local favorite of your choice! Live in the Philly area? We suggest West Philly’s newest brewery, Two Locals Brewing Company.
- Rice Beer/Rice Lager – Imported favorites include Tsingtao, Yanjing, Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale, Asahi, and Sapporo. Not able to find any of these imported ales? Feel free to substitute any lager of your choice!
- American Wheat Beer – Grab something like a Hefeweizen or Witbier. Preferably unfiltered or 3-5.5% ABV.
- Stout – We suggest a Guinness or another preferred low ABV stout (<6% ABV).
- Alcoholic Kombucha or Fruit Sour – You’ll want a fruity, spiced sour, such as a Gose, or a fruit kombucha (especially pineapple or strawberry).
- Mead or Dogfish Head Midas Touch – Ending the tour with a punch! If you are able to find a Dogfish Head Midas Touch, that's our first choice. If not, grab whichever mead you prefer (7-12% ABV) or a more fruity, sweet saison.
View more Specialty Tours