The Penn Museum Certificate in Museum Teaching and Learning is designed for Penn graduate students who want to incorporate object-based, gallery-based, and observational learning into their teaching pedagogy. The certificate program is open to Penn graduate students from any discipline, and trains students on developing inquiry-based discussions, engaging with objects in the classroom, and approaching complicated questions in museum teaching, including colonialism, objectification, and ownership.
- Attend the “Intro to Object-Based Learning” workshop (offered each Fall)
- Attend 3 additional workshops
- Do one “Observation Day” in the Fall OR Spring, of an observed gallery-based or object-based demonstration for feedback
- Fall 2021: December 13, 12:00pm - 1:00pm in the Collections Study Room
- Complete a short teaching statement of 500 words
The certificate may be completed in one year or over multiple years. However, all requirements must be completed before May 1st in order to receive a certificate at the end of the spring semester for the academic year during which you intend to complete the certificate.
MTL Workshop Events
Workshops are open and free to all students, regardless of whether or not they are enrolled in the certificate program.